Vocational Education and Training (VET) and Workplace Learning (WPL)
Vocational Education and Training (VET) and Workplace Learning (WPL) has been very successful at the Harvey Senior High School with our students gaining great experience in the work force and for some securing fulltime work. We have had many trainees complete Certificates at various work places throughout the community.
We have also had Year 12 students undertake Certificate IV’s (for example – Certificate in Preparation for Health and Nursing Studies and Certificate IV in Accounting). The majority of our Year 11 students have achieved Certificates in either Retail, Retail Cosmetics, Engineering, Business Cert II & III, Accounting, Community Services, General Education for Adults, Wider Opportunities for Work and CALM. Most of these courses were achieved attending either South Regional TAFE in Harvey or Bunbury.
Traineeships 2018 SCHOOL-BASED TRAINEESHIPS
What is a school based traineeship?
A school based-traineeship is either a Certificate II or III program approved by industry which enables a student to kick start their career within a chosen field. The traineeship starts while the student is still at school and plays an important part in their school program. We often have enquiries from students wanting to participate in a Traineeship. The VET Department will then do its best to find an employer who is willing to take on a Trainee. Once this relationship has been established, a Training Provider is found. A contract is signed by the parent, student and employer. The student is paid for his/her work while completing the traineeship. The Trainee who participates in a School Based Traineeship, will go to school as well as undergo one day of paid work per week, while completing requirements from TAFE or a private Registered Training Organisation.
While undertaking a Traineeship, students will:
- Still complete the Western Australian Certificate of Education
- Receive VET credit transfers towards their WACE for a completed Certificate II or III traineeship
- Have an industry approved pathway to further study or pathway to a job
Please discuss student’s individual needs with the VET Coordinator at the Harvey Senior High to find the appropriate pathway for your child’s future.
Past VET Students – Corey Bavin
Corey attended Harvey Senior High School, graduated in 2013 and was a recipient of the Vocational Education and Training (VET) Dux. During his time at Harvey Senior High School, he undertook both ATAR studies and VET studies. He completed the following certificates;
- Certificate II in Business, Certificate III in Applied Language (Japanese)
- Certificate of Excellence- West Scheme Vocational Education and Training
- Certificate II in Sport and Recreation (Dux recipient)
- Certificate II in Community Activities (Dux recipient)
- ATAR studies: English, Maths, AIT & Japanese
Corey was and still is a very passionate tennis player and competed nationally on numerous WA state tennis team events around the country. After graduating from Harvey SHS, he was accepted into Curtin University and completed a Bachelor of Commerce with a double major in Accounting and Business Information Systems. Whilst at University he received the following achievements and graduated ‘with distinction’;
- Awarded the Harry Perkins Memorial Scholarship – Regional student relocating to Perth to undertake tertiary studies
- Awarded the FC Swaine Memorial Scholarship – All round academic and sporting excellence
- Announced on the Vice Chancellors list in 2015 which recognises the top 1% of students
- A member of the Wesfarmers Society which is the top 1% of Commerce students
Corey is currently working in the Self-Managed Superannuation division at Byfields Business Advisers which is the largest WA based CPA Accounting firm.